Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Amish Lifestyle


I think it is a pretty commonly  accepted opinion that the Amish are known for high quality work.  I can tell you from experience that this is true and they have a tremendous work ethic as well.  

Over the years I've done a few projects with some Amish carpenters that live in a community about 30 miles from where we live.  When we decided to build a house a few years ago there was only one person I wanted to frame it for me, Ruben Schwartz.  I was aware of Ruben's work from observing other projects of his and I can honestly say it was the only time I haven't gone out for multiple bids on a project because 1) I felt the price was fair and 2) I knew the quality I could expect from Ruben and his crew.

My big goal, or sales job, now is to somehow convince Ruben to travel a couple of extra hours each day and come do another project with me.  


Ruben and his crew raising the first wall at our house project (3) years ago.

Amish Dos and Don'ts

What I haven't quite figured out is what the Amish lifestyle allows and doesn't allow.  I am beginning to think there are varying degrees of Amishness!  Kind of like different religions I guess.  I had heard, before I met Rueben, that the Amish didn't use electricity and phones and other new technologies were not acceptable.  Well I think when it comes to business or making a living that changes somewhat.

Rueben and his crew had the nicest power tools sold on the market.  Electric compressors, nail guns, saws, etc.  They can't drive automobiles, they are driven to and from the job sites each day by a hired "driver", but they drive heavy duty equipment and lifts on the job site.  I had no way of contacting Rueben after working hours but from 6:00 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m. if I needed to talk to him I just called his cell phone!

They arrive at sun up when the van drops them off and depart at sun down, just before dark, when the van returns to pick them up.  Long days of steady hard work.  The crew would average about (10) men.  Everyone had their jobs to do and they did them with little conversation until break time.

The manager of the lumber company helps coordinate Ruben's projects and while meeting with him today I offered to pick them up every day and take them home every night if he would work for me.  That would require me to rent a (15) passenger van for about $1000 but it would be well worth it.

Dave, the lumber company manager, thought Ruben would like my offer and is going to present it to him this week.  IF that happens I look foward to spending virtually an entire week with them both in the van and on the job site.  It would be interesting to learn more about their beliefs and lifestyles.  Ruben has a very dry sense of humor but he is really quite funny once you get to know him.  IF they agree to do my project they will frame, roof and side the entire house in a week.  Maybe less.  Ruben built (48) buildings last year!  Can you imagine that?  Some were farm buildings but that is almost a building a week so our little cottage will be small in comparison to most of his projects.

Should know within a week or so.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment